- Math/CS Club Talk: The Problem of the Misaddressed Mail
- Join us for the next Math/CS Club talk.
- What Math and Computer Science Mathematics Student Development
- When Mar 03, 2015 from 06:00 PM to 07:00 PM (GMT+0 / UTC0)
- Where AC/2C07 -Mathematics & Computer Science: Conference Room
- Contact Name Dr. Lidia Gonzalez
- Contact Phone 718-262-2551
- Attendees Open to all (you do NOT have to be a math or CS major to attend).
- Add event to calendar iCal
Title: The Problem of the Misaddressed Mail
Speaker: Dr. Lidia Gonzalez
Abstract: Suppose someone writes 3 letters and writes the corresponding addresses on 3 envelopes. In how many different ways can all the letters be placed in the wrong envelope? What if there were 4 letters/envelopes? How about 5? 6? n?
Join us as we explore what the great Leonhard Euler called, "a curious problem of combination theory."
This talk is self-contained (no prior knowledge of the topic is needed.)
Snacks will be provided