This is a test Server, please visit for current information

Skip to Main Content

Transfer/Advanced Credits

The official evaluation of all courses taken previously at accredited colleges and universities is completed by the Office of the Registrar in conjunction with the academic department. This includes college courses taken in the U.S. and abroad, advanced placement (A.P.) and international baccalaureate (I.B.) examinations, and other courses taken for college credit while in high school.

Transfer Credit Policy

In general, credit is granted for a course, which is considered equivalent to a course at York and for which the student received a grade of "C" or better ("D" or better at CUNY institutions). A maximum of 80 credits may be transferred from other accredited Bachelor's degree-granting institutions to York College. A maximum of 68-credits maximum may be transferred from a two-year college or degree program. Students with an A.A., A.S. or A.A.S. degree from a CUNY college will receive a minimum of 60 credits. The number of credits awarded for each course remains the same when transferred. (Exception: Credits coming from a school using the quarter-hour will be converted to the semester hour using a .66 multiplication factor.)  Credits will not be transferred from schools not listed on the student’s application.

Grades do not transfer; the student's grade point average at York is calculated solely on the basis of work taken at York College..

Credit Given by Exam
Credits and course exemptions are given to students who present satisfactory scores on the College Board’s CLEP and the Advanced Placement programs. Satisfactory scores are determined by the College's respective academic departments. An official score report must be sent from the College Board to the Admissions Office for an evaluation.

York College recognizes and awards credit for International Baccalaureate higher-level (HL) exams with scores of 4 or better for yearlong courses (No credit will be given for Standard Level Exams).

Official IB, AP, and CLEP scores must be sent to the Office of Admissions at:

Office of the Registrar
York College
94-20 Guy Brewer Boulevard

Jamaica, New York 11451

Advanced Placement (AP)

If you completed college courses in high school you must submit an official college transcript to the Office of Registrar.  Students who have completed Advanced Placement (AP) or Advanced Level (A) courses in secondary school must submit an official transcript to the University Processing Application Center (UAPC) as part of their application package.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) provides students with the opportunity to demonstrate college-level achievement through a program of exams in undergraduate college courses. York College only accepts CLEP Subject Examinations in certain disciplines in which specified scores have been earned. 

College Now

The College Now program gives students an opportunity to earn college credits while attending high school. If you completed any College Now courses while attending high school and wish to have the course evaluated at York College please complete the following:
Send a letter to the Registrar of the college that you took the course with (include your name and Social Security Number) and request that the transcript be sent to:

Office of Registrar
York College
94-20 Guy Brewer Boulevard

Jamaica, New York 11451

For more information visit College Now.

Apply Now
for Fall 2022

Direct Admit

Transfer Credit Explorer

Documents Upload

York College Admissions 

Mondays and Thursdays
10:00am - 6:00pm

Tuesdays and Wednesdays
10:00am - 5:00pm 


Virtual Walk-In Hours

Admissions Email

Virtual Tour