FREE STEM Research Program
Selected students will be enrolled in a spring semester research course in local environmental toxicology. Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the opportunity to participate in York’s Summer STEM Research Academy.
Program Description and Schedules
Spring 2021 (Dates: February 23 – May 20, 2021) – Backyard Toxicology (Tuesday/Thursday 4:00-5:50 pm, HS Credit) Students will be enrolled in a 54-hour science research course in forensic science that investigates local environmental issues through hands-on exploration and review of the literature. This course will meet on the York College campus.
Students who successfully complete the Backyard Toxicology class will have the opportunity to participate in a more advanced summer STEM research project with college professors.
College Now STEM Research Academy @ York College - Summer 2021 (Approx. Dates: July 5 – August 12)
Students will participate in a six-week internship program through which they will be matched with a York College faculty member based on their area of interest. Students will carry out research four days a week, participate in weekly seminars and discussion groups, and complete a project for presentation. Students who successfully complete the internship will receive a monetary stipend.
Students will receive
$750.00 - $1,000.00 stipend (based on program's budget)
- Attend a high school partnered with the College Now program at York College
- Have an 80 or above on any Math Regents exam and/or 75 or above on the Living Environment and ELA Regents exams
- Be recommended by a high school administrator or teacher
Apply to this program
- Your College Now liaison at your high school, or
- Letitia Bridgeman, College Now Coordinator at York College, (firstname.lastname@example.org)