Adjunct Assistant Professor
History, Philosophy and Anthropology
|Monday and Wednesday (or by appointment), AC-3D06||2pm–3:50pm|
|PhD||New School for Social Research||Philosophy||2014|
At York, I teach an Introduction to Philosophy course (PHIL 103) and a Senior Seminar (IS 400) that examines the functions of college education inside prison. I am currently working on a project that defends the importance of hopelessness for organized collective action.
Areas of Expertise
- History of Ancient Greek and Roman Philosophy
Social and Political Philosophy
19th and 20th Century European Philosophy
Books in Field Of Expertise
Snyder, Charles, E. Beyond Hellenistic Epistemology. New York: Bloomsbury, 2021. 217 pages.
Articles in Field Of Expertise
1. "Cicero, Academica 1.45: Interpreting Academic History." Bochumer Philosophisches Jahrbuch für Antike und Mittelalter. 24 2021: 18–34.
2. "Foucault and the Historiography of Early Hellenistic Philosophy." Critical Horizons: A Journal of Philosophy and Social Theory. 22.3 2021: 272–286.
3. "Arcesilaus and the Ontology of Stoic Cognition." Review of Metaphysics. 73 2019: 455–493.
4. "On the Teaching of Ethics from Polemo to Arcesilaus." Études platoniciennes. 14 2018: 1–21.
5. "Becoming Like a Woman: Philosophy in Plato’s Theaetetus." Epochê: A Journal for the History of Philosophy. 21.1 2016: 1-19.
6. "The Socratic Benevolence of Arcesilaus' Dialectic." Ancient Philosophy. 34.2 2014: 341-363.
Chapters in Field Of Expertise
1. "Concepts of Love in Augustine." The Bloomsbury Companion to Arendt. 2020: 29-33.
2. "Skepticism in the Renaissance." Encyclopedia of Renaissance Philosophy. 2019: 1-5.
3. "Plato and the Freedom of the New Academy." Brill's Companion to the Reception of Plato in Antiquity. 2017: 58-71.
Non Refereed Proceedings in Field Of Expertise
1. "In Defense of Disruptive Action." Public Seminar. 2017: online publication.
2. "The Platonism of Hannah Arendt." Amor Mundi: Hannah Arendt Center for Politics and Humanities. 2016: online publication.
Reviews in Field Of Expertise
"Review of David Ambuel, Turtles All the Way Down: On Plato's Theaetetus" 2016: Bryn Mawr Classical Review.
"Review of Steve Johnston, American Dionysia: Violence, tragedy and democratic politics" 2015: Contemporary Political Theory.
Presented Papers, Lectures, and Exhibitions and Performances
" Foucault and the Historiography of Hellenistic Philosophy " October 2018: Annual Conference of the Society for Ancient Greek Philosophy.
" Early Academic Skepticism and the Teachability of Virtue " June 8, 2017: École Normale Supérieure, Vth Atelier International de la Société d’Études Platoniciennes.
" Academic Scepticism and the Question of Virtue " May 8-12, 2017: Maimonides Centre for Advanced Studies, Jewish Scepticism at the University of Hamburg.