Accessing Blackboard FAQs
How to Access and Use Blackboard (Bb)
- Activate your CUNYfirst account. This is a very important account used to access all CUNY-wide applications and services including Blackboard.
- Go to York College website > Faculty/Staff > Online Services > Blackboard. Use your CUNYfirst Login (also called "CUNY Login") credential to log in Bb.
- CUNY Login username: firstname.lastname@example.org (xx denotes the last two digits of your CUNY employee ID, for example, email@example.com)
- CUNY Login password: your CUNYfirst account password
- Go to Blackboard faculty support site to learn setting up Bb course basics, setting up learning activities, and more.
Why can't I activate my CUNYfirst account?
Check with your department to make sure that your hiring paperwork is submitted to HR and HR has entered your information in the CUNYfirst. Only then you can activate your CUNYfirst account.
What if I forget my CUNYfirst password?
You can reset it at the Forget Password page.
Why can't I log in to Bb?
Have you activated your CUNYfirst account?
- If no, activate your CUNYfirst account. You need to use your CUNYfirst account credential to login Bb.
- If yes, check with HR to make sure that your CUNYfirst account has an email address. Within 24 - 48 hours after HR enters your information in CUNYfirst, Blackboard will create an account for you only if there is an email address in your CUNYfirst account, be it your personal or CUNY's.
How can I get my York email?
Once your information is entered in CUNYfirst by HR, a ticket to the College IT is created to request a York email for you. The York IT will send your email address to HR so that they can enter it in your CUNYfirst account. You can obtain your York email login information by contacting York IT Helpdesk.
Why can't I see my courses after I log in to Blackboard (Bb)?
Check your class schedule in CUNYfirst to see if your assigned courses are listed.
- If you cannot see your courses listed in your "My Class Schedule", contact your department to make sure that they send your course assignments to the Registrar's Office. Once the Registrar enters your course assignments in CUNYfirst, you will have access to the Bb course sites the next day.
- If you can see your courses listed in your "My Class Schedule", but not in Bb, email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (718) 262 - 5219 or (718) 262 - 5300. Course enrollments (for both students and instructors) in Bb are updated every morning based on CUNYfirst record.
How can I add/update my email in Blackboard?
After logging in to Bb, click your name on the top right. A global navigation panel appears. Click on the Tools tab, then "Update Email". Fill in your York email in the required boxes and click Submit. Only a cuny.edu email address is acceptable.