All MSW Scholars are enrolled in a full-time program. The MSW Program at CUNY York College does not offer a part-time program. MSW Scholars are required to attend classes 2 (two) evenings and Saturdays (fall 2023 & fall 2024). Additionally, 2-3 days are required for field placement. *course work and field placement may be attended on the same day. In-person courses are scheduled in the evenings to make it possible for you to maintain your current employment.
Start Term: Fall Campus Options: Traditional Face-to-Face ONLY Format: Full-time (evenings and weekends).
Important Consideration: Plan for balancing the full-time MSW Program (including course work, field placement hours, and other program requirements) with any additional personal or professional commitments and responsibilities.
** The MSW Program at CUNY York College does not award academic credit for life experience or previous work experience. The program admits only those scholars who have met the program’s specified criteria.
General Admission Requirements for MSW Program
Eligible candidates must meet the below criteria for admission to the MSW Program at CUNY York College:
- Applicants must demonstrate promise as a masters-level social work scholar and show readiness to take on graduate education;
- Apply to the program, including a personal statement related to the MSW scholar's career goals, current comprehensive resume or curriculum vitae, and official transcripts;
- Hold an earned bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university. If BSW/BSSW, must be from a CSWE accredited program;
- A satisfactory scholastic average; must have attained an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher;
- A group interview will be required; and
- Must provide three letters of recommendation from instructors or employers (please do not include personal references) addressing the applicant's suitability for the social work profession and preparedness to enter a rigorous academic program;
Advanced Standing Admission Requirements
In addition to general admission requirements, advanced standing applicants must:
- Have completed a bachelor's degree in social work from a CSWE accredited program within the last five years;
- Have attained an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher and a GPA of 3.2 in the social work major; and
- Submit a final evaluation from the senior undergraduate practicum placement evaluation (advanced standing applicants only).
Advanced Standing applicants are required to obtain the final evaluation from their undergraduate senior practicum (advanced standing applicants only).
NE: Advanced standing is awarded only to graduates from baccalaureate social work programs accredited by CSWE, recognized through its International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Services*, or covered under a memorandum of understanding with international social work accreditors.
This and all future references to degrees from social work programs accredited by CSWE include degrees from CSWE-accredited programs or recognized through CSWE's International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service or covered under a memorandum of understanding with the international social work accrediting body.
York College of The City University of New York (CUNY) does not require a graduate entrance exam such as Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) for admission to the MSW Program at CUNY York College.
Additional requirements for international applicants
TOEFL: For applicants whose native language is not English, the TOEFL is required with a minimum score of 61 on the (Internet Based TOEFL (IBT). These scores should be sent to SocialWorkCAS using the SocialWorkCAS TOEFL code of 2992. For International Scholars - Submit official test scores to CUNY York College - University Code: 2992
A WES evaluation ( www.wes.org) is required for applicants who completed their degree outside of the United States. This can be requested and submitted through SocialWorkCAS.
For Scholars who do not have access to TOEFL you can also use the following: International English Language Testing System (IELTS): A score of 6 is required. Pearson Test of English Academic (PTEA): A score of 44 is required. Duolingo: A score of 85 is required.
Individuals applying for graduation from the MSW Program at CUNY York College must meet all requirements for the degree at York College of the City University of New York as defined by the most current Graduate Bulletin in effect at the time of admission to the program. The current structure of the program is geared toward professional programs.
Instructions for Applying to the MSW Program
Before completing the application, it is essential to thoroughly review all sections of the MSW Program at CUNY York College webpage.
- As part of the application process, an interview is required.
- $75.00 Non-Refundable Application Fee (U.S. dollars) processing fee must be paid to York College and a SocialWorkCAS application fee of $45 flat fee before the application is considered complete.
- Do not use the MSW@york.cuny.edu email address to submit MSW applications or materials.
Deadline for Fall 2024 - Application Portal is OPEN!
Fall 2023-2024 Timeline
- Sept 9, 2023:The application portal opens.
- Feb 15, 2024: If you wish to be considered for fall 2024, please apply by the deadline.
- Interviews will be scheduled with applicants moving forward in the application process.
- Fall 2023 applicants will be notified of decisions via email and in writing (U.S. Postal Services).
- May 6, 2023: Applicants pay a commitment fee to secure a seat for fall 2024 (subject to change).
- May 15, 2024: Waitlist applicants are notified as space becomes available for Fall 2024.
Questions? Please attend one of our information sessions. Please visit our MSW Information Session (this website) for upcoming dates. You are also welcome to contact the MSW Program at CUNY York College at (718) 262-2607 or email: MSW@york.cuny.edu
We are a competitive program!
The MSW Program at CUNY York College participates in the Social Work Centralized Application Service (SocialWorkCAS) in the 2024 application cycle. Applicants applying to our masters-level program will apply online using the SocialWorkCAS application beginning September 9, 2023. Please click "Apply Now" to be taken to the SocialWorkCAS application link.