Information about enrolling in, withdrawing from, and auditing courses. Policies about attendance, the pass/fail option, and concurrent attendance at another institution are also detailed.

General Information

Please consult the Schedule of Classes for complete details concerning registration dates and course schedules. Some courses listed in this bulletin are not offered every semester.

All students should be advised before registering. Students with less than 27.5 credits must have an approved advisement form signed by their advisor in the Counseling Center before they may register. All eligible students are notified by mail regarding registration for the Fall and Spring semesters and the Summer Sessions. Students are assigned a specific day and time on which to register.

Course Load

The normal number of credits for a full-time student is 15. The maximum number of credits that a student may register for is usually 18.

A student who wishes to register for more than 18 credits must secure written permission in advance of registration from the Committee on Academic Standards and will be charged excess credit fees. (See the section on Tuition and Fees.)

Students on probation may register for a maximum of 12 credits.

Procedures for Change of Program and Withdrawal from a Course

During the first week of classes, a student may withdraw from one or more courses, add courses or change from one section to another section of the same course. During the second and third week, a student may only withdraw from a course or courses. No other program changes will be permitted.

Withdrawals during these first three weeks will not appear on the student's transcript but the student may be liable for tuition. There is no fee for withdrawals only (although students may be liable for tuition), but there is a $18 fee (and the possibility of additional tuition) for all other program changes.

A student may also withdraw from a course or courses from the fourth through the tenth week of classes by applying to the Office of the Registrar. This action must be recorded on the student's record with a grade of W, in accordance with the regulations of The City University.

A student who finds it necessary to apply for permission to withdraw from a course or courses after the tenth week must apply during the semester the course is being taken, as follows:

  1. all students, except those in the SEEK Program, must apply directly to the Committee on Academic Standards;
  2. students in the SEEK Program must obtain approval from their faculty counselors before applying to the Committee on Academic Standards.

A student may not receive W grades through Committee action more than three semesters while attending York College. This will not include semesters for which an official leave of absence has been granted. If a student ceases to attend any course and does not follow the above procedure, the student will be graded WU in the course regardless of when attendance ceased. Effective Fall 1978, there is a two-year limitation on appeals for retroactive change of transcript entry. In emergency situations necessitating a sudden withdrawal from a course or courses, applications for retroactive withdrawal will be considered the semester the student returns to school.

Auditing of Courses

Students must pay the appropriate tuition and fees to audit any course, except for senior citizens, who do not pay tuition.

Students who wish to audit a course must receive written permission from the instructor of the course and must submit the permission to the Office of the Registrar. Forms for permission to audit courses may be secured from the Office of the Registrar. Students must register for the course during the regular registration period.

E- Permits/Concurrent Attendance at Another Institution

 A student who attends York College may not attend another institution concurrently.

In special cases, the Office of the Registrar of York College may grant permission for dual attendance; however, the request must be processed prior to the registration period of both institutions.

A student with less than an overall C average will not be granted an e-permit to another college. A student who has completed 60 credits will not be granted an e- permit to a Community College.

For all courses the student must have the permit application approved by the discipline coordinator. An e- permit will not be granted for more than one half of the student's semester credits, except in extraordinary circumstances.

The e-permit is available on the CUNY Portal.

Independent Study Courses

Courses offered as Independent Studies are limited to York College degree students only. The number of Independent Study credits a student may take will be limited to three in any given semester, with the exception of the Political Science and Psychology programs, where six credits may be taken to satisfy the requirements of internship.

In special circumstances, permission for a waiver of this limitation may be granted by the chairperson of the Committee on Academic Standards. Independent Studies courses may only be taken by students in good standing.

 Pass/Fail Option

A student not on probation who has earned 28 or more credits may choose to take one pass/fail course per semester for a total of not more than six courses. Courses given on a pass/fail basis, such as Student Development 101-105 and non-major Physical Education 100 and 200-level courses, are not considered in the six-course total.

A student may not take a course on a pass/fail basis if it constitutes part of his or General Education requirements(Exception: Physical Education Requirement) or fulfills major requirements.

A student may exercise the pass/fail option any time during the first ten weeks of the semester and may elect to rescind the option up to the last day of classes (prior to finals). This is done by notifying the Office of the Registrar.

A letter grade is submitted by the instructor and converted by the Registrar to P or F. In the pass/fail option, a grade of A+, A, A-, B+ B, B,C+, C,C-, D+ or D is a passing grade, and an F is a failing grade


Students are expected to attend each class session. 

Students who do not attend a course during the first weeks of the semester, will be marked as "Never Attended." This will affect financial aid. Students absent for more than one week due to illness (including hospitalization) should present to the instructor medical documentation of the illness. Students absent for more than one week for reasons other than illness should also, where possible, furnish documentation of reasons.