York STEM Academy
The York STEM Academy is a grant-funded program sponsored by the Minority Science and Engineering Improvement Program at the US Department of Education. The Academy is a two-year program designed to provide academic support and professional development to students pursuing bachelor’s degrees in Science, Technology, and Math.
Why become a York STEM Academy Scholar?
As a York STEM Academy Scholar, you will gain the following:
- Summer Research Experiences with a $1,500 stipend
- Classes and activities designed to support your academic and career success
- Professional development opportunities with faculty mentors
- Support to attend national scientific conferences
- Assistance with applying to graduate/medical/dental/veterinary schools
- A community of peers interested in science degrees and careers
To qualify, a successful applicant must:
- Be a United States citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be interested in majoring in Bio-Technology (BS), Biology (BA/BS), Chemistry (BA/BS), Clinical Lab Science/MT (BS), Computer Science (BS), Environmental Health Science (BS), Geology (BS), Information Systems (BS), Mathematics (BA/BS), Pharmaceutical Science (BS) or Physics (BS)
- Agree to participate in seminars, professional development workshops, summer research experiences, and academic support workshops (ENG, MATH, BIO, CHEM)
- Maintain an overall GPA of at least 2.0 and a major GPA of 2.5.