Now that you've completed onboarding, here are resources and information that will be useful to you in starting your journey with York College.
Before reviewing the information on this page, please ensure that you've completed the following:
- Reviewed, signed, and returned your offer letter/ appointment letter - This document will include highly salient information such as the union associated with your title, your rate, and your department.
- Visited the New Employee Resource Center, completed and endorsed all documents, and uploaded them to the Secure Document Portal.
- Visited the Office of Human Resources on campus to show your original identifying documents and credentials (on or before your first day of work).
Departments of Interest
Below is a non exhaustive list of departments that provide services or resources that employees may want or need access to.
There are 2 main sets of credentials you'll need to be familiar with; your computer login credentials and your CUNYfirst login credentials.
The username and password associated with your york e-mail account will be established by IT. The format will be the first letter of your first name, your last name, and possibly a number at the end. For example, JSmith2@york.cuny.edu for Jane Smith. Once your job information has been added to CUNYfirst, a request is sent to IT for fulfillment, so there may be a lag between your start date and when you are able to access these credentials. These credentials provide access to computers on campus, campus wifi, local proprietary software, and to remote desktop access through Global Protect. Local proprietary software includes the time and leaves system appropriate for your category of staff. Until you have access to enter your own timesheets, it is incumbent on your department to enter time on your behalf so that you are not adversely impacted.
The username and password associated with your CUNYfirst account will be created automatically once your information is entered into CUNYfirst and you claim your account for the first time. The format of the CUNYfirst username is the first name, period, last name, and last 2 or 3 digits of your employee ID @login.cuny.edu. For example, Jane Smith's CUNYfirst username may be Jane.Smith72@login.cuny.edu. This credential is required to access CUNYfirst, Blackboard, your employee Microsoft Office 365 account, and other centralized services.
Once you've claimed your accounts, you will be able to return to the second station of the New Employee Resource Center to complete the required training. As a reminder, required training must be completed within 60 days of your first day of work.
In addition, there are multiple annual trainings, some of which must be completed via Blackboard. The annual training required are:
- Comprehensive Ethics Training Course
- Employee Sexual Misconduct Prevention and Response Course
- Workplace Violence Prevention Training
Pay - Dates, Methods, Information
Employees in CUNY are paid on a biweekly basis on the Thursday of the pay week. Employees with direct deposit and who bank with Municipal Credit Union can expect to see their pay deposited on the Wednesday of the pay week. All employees should expect to receive a mailed document from Central Payroll. For employees with direct deposit, this will be a pay stub. For employees without direct deposit, this will be a paycheck.
Checks are generated in different ways and at different timings depending on an employee's category of staff. Below is a non-exhaustive list of staff categories and associated pay methods and timing:
- Classified Hourly - Paid by biweekly timesheet on a 3-week lag from the point where the timesheet is approved and processed. The timesheet is in PR-Assist.
- Teaching Adjunct - Paid in multiple scheduled checks over which the total contract pay for a given semester is divided. This will be 8 checks for the Spring and Fall. No timesheets are required in most cases and payment depends on the timely submission of documents (onboarding documents, workload/ 210, etc). This segment does not apply to Continuing Education Teachers and Teaching Adjuncts in the Queen's EOC. For those groups, please see the following bullet.
- Non-Teaching Adjunct - Paid by biweekly timesheet on a 3-week lag from the point where the timesheet is approved and processed. The timesheet is in AEMS.
- Full-time Classified - Paid in scheduled checks over which the total annual pay is divided. Biweekly timesheets are required, Payment is 'current', meaning that each check represents the preceding 2-week period of work days. The timesheet is in HR-Assist.
- Full-time Faculty - Paid in scheduled checks over which the total annual pay is divided. Biweekly timesheets are required, noting only absences and leaves. Payment is 'current', meaning that each check represents the preceding 2-week period of work days. The timesheet is in HR-Assist.
- Full-time Staff - Paid in scheduled checks over which the total annual pay is divided. Biweekly timesheets are required. Payment is 'current', meaning that each check represents the preceding 2-week period of work days. The timesheet is in HR-Assist.
- Executive Compensation Plan - Paid in scheduled checks over which the total annual pay is divided. Biweekly timesheets are required, noting only absences and leaves. Pay is on a 2-week lag. The timesheet is in HR-assist.
Currently, Direct Deposit is opt-out, rather than opt-in. If you elect to have Direct Deposit, a paystub will be mailed by the State to your home address or to any mailing address you've provided. If you elect not to have Direct Deposit, a check will be mailed instead. You can opt out of receiving physical paystubs using New York State Payroll Online. If you sign up for New York State Payroll Online, in addition to having access to historical paystubs digitally, you will gain access to view W-2s, update your taxes online, and review your Direct Deposit account details. For detailed instructions on accessing New York State Payroll Online, please visit this page.
Position and Performance Expectations
On or before your first day, you should speak to your supervisor regarding:
- Your work schedule - The times that you will be beginning and ending work each day.
- Your job duties
- Performance review and goal-setting processes as it relates to the organizational structure and mission statement of the College
- Who your primary contact in your department is for inquiries and obstacles
- Absenteeism and leave procedures for your department
- Department access, such as keys
- Systems access and training
- Technology needs
- The mission and goals of your office
Systems Access and Training
There are many systems that are used on campus to administrate functions from purchases to budgets and staff lifecycle events. By default, all employees will have access to Employee Self-Service in CUNYfirst and to enter their time in the time and leave system appropriate to their category of staff. Any access beyond that will require an appropriate access form.
Training in local proprietary software is available upon request, and an offer for individual training is typically extended upon granting of a new user access role. Additionally, for SOTA systems, PDF training guides are available via the Documents link on the login page. HR-Assist video training is available on the HRIS webpage.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of local systems that you may need access to in order to perform an administrative duty. Links have been provided to forms where available.
- CUNYfirst - For an overview of CUNYfirst access forms, processes, and guidelines, please visit this page.
- AEMS- Submit to HR upon completion
- Archibus - Contact Facility/ Buildings & Grounds for access.
- CourseDog - Contact the Registrar's Office for access.
- HR-Assist - Submit to HR upon completion
- KACE - Contact IT for access.
- PR-Assist- Submit to HR upon completion
Vaccination and Building Access
Vaccination is a requirement for members of the Professional Staff Congress (all faculty, all adjuncts, and all non-classified staff). Employees who have uploaded their vaccination information are exempted from the mandatory weekly covid testing that would otherwise be required and will get a green check mark on their vax pass to display and gain entry to the campus.
Medical exemptions are available on a limited basis. For more information, please visit the FAQ page here.
In order to upload Vaccination information, please follow these instructions.