Periodicals and Microforms
The Library's periodicals collection, in both print and microform formats, as well as special microform collections.
The York College Library's collection of periodicals is located on the main (third) floor of the G-wing, and the microforms collection is located on the lower (second) floor of the G-Wing. We have over 450 current subscription titles of journals, magazines and newspapers, over 55,000 reels of microfilms, and over 90,000 cards of microfiche. We also have many of our periodical titles full text online.
Guidelines and Procedures
These guidelines and procedures will assist patrons in their use of Periodicals and Microforms:
- You must have a valid CUNY ID or driver’s license to borrow periodicals.
- To find a periodical, open the CUNY+ Online Catalog, then click on Journal titles. You may also check the “Periodicals Black Binders” at the Periodical Desk and on the index tables to view our holdings, which will state whether the title is “hard copy” (print) or on “microfilm.”
- To request a hard copy periodical, fill out a "Periodicals Request Form" at the Periodicals Desk.
- To request a microfilm reel or microfiche, fill out a "Periodicals Request Form" in the Microforms Room (2G04). "Reader/Printer" machines are available in this room, allowing you to make copies.
- The cost of making copies of periodicals/microfilm is $.10 cents per page for students.
- The Library makes copies of microfilm requests for faculty and staff.
- For students, periodicals are for “in-house” reading and/or copying ONLY. Student IDs are held and returned when periodicals are returned to the Periodicals Desk.
- Students may request four (4) titles at a time.
- After filling out the Periodicals Request Form, faculty and staff may borrow an item and make copies in their department before returning it.
- If students disregard the policies and remove periodicals from the Library, they will be blocked and charged for items.
Special Microfilm and Microfiche Collections
- American Federation of Labor and the Unions; National and International Union Records from the Samuel Gompers Era, 1892-1924
- John L. Lewis Papers, 1879-1969
- Morris Hillquit Papers, 1886-1944
- Papers of the NAACP: Part 1, 1909-1937; Part 2, 1934-1937
- The Black Man in English Romantic Literature, 1772-1833
- CUNY Chancellor's and University Reports, April 1983-
- ERIC Files – Eric Resources in Education (RIE), 1985-1996
- Human Relations Area Files (HRAF), arranged alphanumerically by Outline of World Cultures Code (OWC)
- Library of American Civilization (LAC), 1-40152, and Index
- 20 th Century Trade Union Women, Fiche #1-41
- United Negro College Fund Archives, Fiche #0001-3525, and Index