Student Academic Services

The Office of Student Academic Services monitors student progress towards their degree and reviews appeals to determine ifstudent circumstances warrant exceptions to the academic policies and regulations of the College.

General Information


Students have the right to petition for readmission, retroactive withdrawals (or leave of absence), readmission, excess credits or to appeal the determination of ineligibility for financial aid. To petition for one of the above:

  1. Contact the Office of Student Academic Services for help and guidance throughout the petition process. They will help ensure that you submit the proper petition and answer any questions you may have.
  2. Complete the appropriate petition form.
  3. Meet with an Academic Adviser to develop a Plan of Action and attach it to the petition (for PELL Grants only)
  4. Prepare a detailed personal statement (typed 200 words or less) explaining: extenuating circumstances and how you propose to resolve the deficiency that contributed to your unsatisfactory academic progress
  5. Attach as many as possible of the following:
  • Evidence of personal illness (physician’s statement, hospital records, etc.) involving hospitalization or extended confinement;
  • Evidence of death (copy of death certificate required) of an immediate family member (mother, father, child, sibling, grandparent) or illness of an immediate family member of which you were the primary caretaker (must include a statement from a physician, social worker, etc. indicating your primary caretaking role with dates) requiring your absence from classes for an extended period of time;
  • Evidence of an emotionally disabling condition (must include a statement from a licensed physician, psychologist, social worker, etc.) that prevented you from attending classes;
  • Evidence of military duty (attach deployment orders);
  • Evidence of involvement with social agencies; government entities; incarceration; or similar reasons that prevented you from attending classes (attach official documents with dates);
  • Evidence (attach official documents with dates) of any other extenuating circumstances (eviction notice, divorce papers, police reports, etc.).
  • Attach your personal statement, the supporting documentation.
  • Submit the above information packet to a staff member in the Office of Academic Student Services in room number AC-4G04 to be reviewed for completeness and date stamped. DO NOT slip petitions under the door after hours or leave them unattended on the counter. Those found or not found or left unattended will be considered not delivered and not presented to the committee. Petitions must be received by 3:00 pm on the deadline date.*

 Any late or incomplete petition packets without supporting documentation, or those received after the deadline date will not be accepted and will be returned to the student.